BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY CHILDREN AND TEENS' CREATIVE DANCE PROGRAM 2015–2016
Children's Dance Calendar 2015-16
- Sep 14–18 First week of classes/ Parent Visiting Week
- Oct 13–19 Fall break, Monday classes on the 12th but not on the 19th
- Nov 6 DanceWorks Showings, 2260 BYU Conference Center 4:00–7:00 p.m.
- Nov 20 DanceWorks Concerts, 4:00 p.m. and 5:15 p.m., 166 RB
- Nov 24–27 Thanksgiving break, only Monday classes will be held on Nov. 23
- Dec 7–11 Parent Visiting Week
- Dec 14–Jan 3 Christmas break
- Jan 4 Classes resume
- Jan 18 Martin Luther King Holiday, no Monday classes
- Feb 5 DanceWorks Showings, 2260 BYU Conference Center 4:00–7:00 pm
- Feb 15 Presidents' Day, no Monday classes
- Feb 19 DanceWorks Concert, 7:30 p.m., 169 RB
- April 4–8 Spring break, no classes
- April 15 No Friday classes, BYU FINALS
- April 23 Saturday rehersal for Young DanceMakers Evening of Dance, 185/187 RB
- April 25–29 Parent's Visiting Week, Young DanceMaker Classes
- April 30 Saturday rehearsal for Young DanceMakers Evening of Dance, 185/187 RB
- May 2–5 Rehearsals for Young DanceMakers, de Jong Concert Hall
- May 6–7 Evening of Dance performances, Young DanceMakers, de Jong Concert Hall
- May 7 Spacing rehearsal, Sharing Showcase classes, 185/187 RB
- May 9–13 Parent Visiting Week, Sharing Showcase classes
- May 14 Sharing Showcase performances 10:30, noon, 1:30, 166 RB
Parents are invited to visit and observe their child’s class on three different days throughout the year. The dates are listed above. By limiting observation days to those listed, students enrolled in our program are allowed uninterrupted class time to work with peers and teachers. We ask that on observation days parents remain attentive and leave younger children who might disrupt the class in the care of others. We feel that adhering to these guidelines will optimize the experience for all. Parents who observe on non–designated days often cause confusion, as other children wonder why their mother or father is not present. We appreciate your willingness to cooperate in this matter.
Children should be dropped off no earlier than five minutes before class and picked up no later than five minutes after class ends. Dancers arriving before their class has begun should not disrupt the previous class. Children’s dance faculty cannot be responsible for attending to children before and after class.
Children should wear appropriate dance attire. Leotards or body suits are recommended. Straps should be one inch or wider. All students enrolled in the Creative Dance Program should plan on dancing barefoot. We also ask that children wear appropriate outer clothing and footwear to and from class and rehearsal.
Our website is http://ce.byu.edu/cw/dancecamps/creative.cfm
Participants in the BYU Children and Teens' Creative Dance Program will receive training in dance technique, which develops flexibility, coordination, strength, physical awareness, and body control. Students will learn through movement the basics of rhythm, participate in problem solving, create innovative compositions, and develop excellent performance skills.
Registration will begin August 3, 2015
Classes begin the week of September 14–18, 2015, and culminate the week of May 9–14, 2016. Information regarding holidays and performances will be distributed by teachers shortly after classes begin. You may also check the calendar online.
Grades preschool through 12 (3 to 18 years).
The Creative Dance Program includes an optional performance opportunity for original choreography in the November and February “DanceWorks” performances. Class groups will be featured in a May performance “Sharing Showcase.” The Young DanceMakers (those in company classes that meet two or more hours per week) will perform in “An Evening of Dance,” also in May.
PARENTS’ VISITING WEEKS
There are three designated weeks during the year during which parents are encouraged to observe their child’s class. To allow the teacher and students to work without interruption, parents should not observe class at any other time
Kathleen Sheffield, MA, director
Malisalee Gardner, assistant director
Edgemont Elementary (EDGE), 3600 North 500 East, Provo
Provost Elementary (PROV), 629 South 1000 East, Provo
BYU Harman Continuing Education Building (HCEB), Provo
SCERA, 745 S. State Street, Orem
BYU Richards Building (RB), Provo
Registration will begin August 3, 2015 at 8:00 a.m. (MDT).